Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sledding and skiing. More firsts!

All we wanted for Christmas was a White Christmas.  I don't think I have ever prayed for weather as much as we did for our tip to Utah, and Adam prays for a long, cold, brutal winter every year.  Adam LOVES the cold, and I do NOT.  I don't mind it so much but in all reality, I just love 70 degree weather all year round.  I'm not sure why Adam loves the cold so much, maybe he was just too hot his whole life living in Texas, but he would probably rather live the rest of his days out in the cold mountains.  I would like to live my days by the beach ( I mean who is the weird one here?!) I guess a beach house and a winter cabin are in our future :)

Well enough about our dreams...
They actually came true while we were in Utah.  And because of all the snow, we were able to show Solana what it is.  She LOVED it, loved to play in it, eat it, lay in it, whatever it was she just loved it.  So we were pretty excited to take her sledding, and even though I could not take her, it was just as wonderful to watch her and Adam go.  I think Adam even had more fun than she did.  Good ol' Liberty Park in Salt Lake was perfect for the little first timer. She went a couple runs, but mostly just wanted to sit down and eat the snow (Solana - "I like eating doe!")  and watch daddy go up and down the hill. 





Probably one of the best New Year's Eves we could have had.  
Since my Dad flew up from California, he really wanted to go skiing.  
A little history: My dad grew up in Ogden and was a profesional downhill ski racer in his early years and before he had kids.  My parents even lived at the lodge at Snowbasin that my grandpa built when they were first married and worked there.  And Snowbasin is where all of us kids learned how to ski, and it has always been a big part of Ross history.  So heading up to the mountain with my dad and my family was such a fun experience.  And having my daughter learn where I learned was pretty neat.  Solana does not get to see Papa Ross often, so I was pretty excited for the experience of him teaching her how to ski.  Also Adam had just learned to ski a week earlier from his best friend (he has always snowboarded) and so he was also able to take Solana down the bunny hill once or twice.  
So being 9 months pregnant I waited by the ski lift and played family photographer, I actually had so much fun, I just wish I could move around faster to get more pictures. 



Waiting in line to ride the lift, which was actually her favorite part because it felt like flying.  I have yet to figure out what this little one is scared of.  Because it's not heights, and not speed. 


Birttany, Fred, and Addie also flew up from San Diego for New Years and they were able to teach Addison how to ski.  She did great, she was able to balance all on her own.



Haha, I love this photo.  She looks scared, but she said she wasn't.  It was probably the icy cold air on her face.  It was below 20 degrees that day. 


They got some speed and I was amazed how quick she picked it up.


Logan and Carol waiting in line for the lift.  The kids were not the only first timers, Carol took her shot at the mountain for the first time as well.  I'm not sure if she loved it, but new experiences are always fun to some degree (except for your first time snowboarding, Adam mentions, which is categorically always an awful day of face-planting and struggling to stand up again.)









Nothing better than these girls chowing down pizza in the lodge. I can just picture all these cousins as college roomates and doing the same thing. 







No comments:

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.